Info on COVID-19 Safety Policies and Procedures
UPDATED May 27, 2022
At Block Island Express, the safety of our customers and employees is our top priority. We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and taking appropriate action based on recommendations from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), Rhode Island Department of Health, Connecticut and Rhode Island Governors’ offices, US Coast Guard, and other state and local authorities.
Block Island Express is authorized to operate at full capacity. Social distancing may not be possible while aboard, and you may be seated directly next to other people. If you require social distancing and/or separation from others, please select another means of transportation to/from Block Island. We apologize if this creates an inconvenience.
In order to maintain a safe environment for all, Block Island Express has implemented the following Policies:
• Due to COVID-19 concerns, smoking and the use of vaping devices are not allowed anywhere on the vessel at any time.
• Per the United States Coast Guard,passengers to wear masks while indoors aboard the ferry or inside the ferry terminal building except while eating or drinking. . USCG Marine Safety Information Bulletin Number 02-21 CH-2 (MSIB 02-21 CH-2).
• To minimize exposure, making reservations either online or through our call center is highly recommended. If you arrive at the New London Terminal with a reservation, our staff will be able to ticket you outside, limiting the need to go inside the ticket office. Our staff will collect the tickets prior to boarding.
• Phenomenal AireTM and Active Dust Free® air purification systems have been installed aboard the vessels as an additional preventative measure. Phenomenal AireTM Cold Plasma Generators(CPG) and Active Dust Free® air purifiers have been installed into the air handlers of all passenger spaces aboard the company’s fleet of vessels currently operating between New London, CT and Block Island, RI and in our ticket office. Phenomenal AireTM produces an electric field filled with highly charged ions. The ions act as a natural scrubbing agent for the air passing through the field. The scrubbing process (bipolar ionization) safely disables viruses and other harmful microorganisms. On its website, Phenomenal AireTM states its system’s bipolar ionization technology disables the Human Coronavirus (229E) and that similar results are anticipated for COVID-19. The Active Air Purifiers utilize ionic oxidation, negative ionization and UV-C light to purify the air. They remove viruses, bacteria and germs from the air.
• The frequency of cleaning for all vessels and shoreside facilities has been increased. Vessels are being deep cleaned and sanitized at night when out of service.
• The quantity of antibacterial hand sanitizing stations on all vessels and shoreside facilities has been increased.
• The inventory of all antibacterial cleaning supplies and sanitizers has been increased.
• Please follow personal hygiene recommendations from the CDC, and DO NOT TRAVEL IF YOU ARE SICK OR HAVE ANY OF THE CDC COVID-19 SYMPTOMS.
• A COVID-19 Control Plan has been developed and implemented in accordance with Rhode Island Department of Health emergency regulations.
• The food and beverage service is complying with Connecticut and Rhode Island regulations and guidance.
• These policies and procedures may be adjusted as recommendations from the CDC, Coast Guard, State of Connecticut, and State of Rhode Island change.
We will continue to monitor and respond as necessary to the latest updates from various agencies regarding COVID-19. For additional information regarding the Coronavirus, visit the CDC homepage https://www.cdc.gov/.
We look forward to sailing with you. Thank you for being a Block Island Express customer.